Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bubble Boys (and Girls)

I am half of a 2-person company, so I work practically alone, and for me that's both the greatest and worst aspects of being an independent writer. I am far more productive than I could otherwise be, because I'm free from corporate meetings and colleagues' interruptions. But I don't have a boss or many colleagues, so hardly anyone ever challenges my decisions, and my ego isn't always right-sized. A related problem, and even more dangerous, is that my insular existence threatens to keep me from hearing the latest thinking in our industry.

Open Session 10, "Navigating Today's CME Landscape," was a good example to me of why I benefit from attending the AMWA national conference. I write a regular column on trends in medical communications ("Briefly Noted," published in the AMWA Journal), and I've followed the sea changes in CME closely -- or so I thought. But Mary King and Johanna Lackner-Marx had much to teach me about the newer CME accreditation process and how adult learning theory has influenced what accrediting bodies expect from CME providers. Tara Hun-Dorris wrapped up the session with exceedingly practical tips for writing CME materials (and for dealing with difficult faculty), and she gave me a kick in the pants about moving beyond print media.

One of the highlights for me of this year's conference was a workshop that went beyond the lecture/discussion format. I would urge more AMWA workshop leaders to create activities for attendees who are principally auditory or kinesthetic learners. Probably this is too easy for me to say, as I've never led a workshop, and honestly, I mean no disrespect to the VOLUNTEER leaders. In a workshop I attended yesterday, "Audience Analysis for Health Care Communication," led by Bob Bonk, the small-group exercise was very valuable. My team of 5 women, from very different backgrounds, had to outline 2 documents on the same topic for different audiences. There was initial tension and disagreement, and we never did reach true consensus or, perhaps, draft the best possible outlines. But by gum, we got the job done on deadline! The exercise reminded me that even when I'm snug at home, I am part of a team, and I forget that at my peril.

--Faith Reidenbach

No comments:

Post a Comment